THIS woman was left unable to eat and her bones felt itchy after she had an allergic reaction to eczema cream prescribed to her by doctors. Gemma Blackman was first diagnosed with eczema when she was just two-years-old and has been using the same medication for 25 years. The 28-year-old from Surrey was prescribed stronger creams to help heal the eczema as she got older. When she was 21, Gemma had a sudden anaphylactic reaction to a Brazil nut and a blood test confirmed that she was allergic to all nuts, cats, dogs, dairy and wheat but even cutting these things out of her life did not bring an improvement to her skin condition. She said: “They [steroid creams] were great for some time, almost like magic to be honest." “Every time I felt some sort of irritation coming back, I knew if I put the cream on by the next day it would have almost completely cleared." But by 2018, Gemma was regularly waking up with a swollen face. It was then she discovered topical steroid … [Read more...] about My BONES felt itchy and my face hurt so much I couldn’t eat after using eczema cream
A mum is worried that her eight-year-old son could potentially die on the school run this winter because he's allergic to the cold. One icy blast of wind could be fatal for little Jayden O'Brien as the allergic reaction is triggered by his skin being exposed to anything below body temperature. The youngster has temperature urticaria, a rare disorder which limits his life significantly. While this can range from tingling to hives, he is also at risk of a severe anaphylactic reaction. With temperatures across the UK plunging this weekend, Jayden's mum Jenna Peacock, 35, is worried. Speaking from the family home in Ashford, Kent, Jenna said: “I worry about him because his condition could be life-threatening. “He could go into an anaphylactic shock. "It is a shame for Jayden as he can’t win. He never wants to miss out on playing with his friends but often forgets to wear his gloves, scarf and snood. “He can’t be wrapped up too much as his skin flares up when he is also too … [Read more...] about Mum terrified boy, 8, could die on school run as he’s allergic to cold weather
It's an enthralling real-life cowboy story with a difference – not so much old Wild West as modern day Edgy East – and it stole Idris Elba’s heart. Now an American inner-city riding club that helps keep black youngsters in a Philadelphia ghetto away from drugs and crime is set to gallop to worldwide fame on Netflix . And Golden globe winner Idris, 48, today reveals he was so determined to learn to ride and star in Concrete Cowboy he battled through an allergy to horses. “On the first full day of training, I was scoffing down antihistamines, because my eyes get swollen and my skin blotches out,” said the Luther star. “So that was the first learning curve for me, to be able to sit on a horse without crying my eyes out.” Part of his determination to tell the story of the Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club – set up in Philly’s toughest neighbourhood by 81-year-old Ellis Ferrell in 1980 – is that it was recently threatened with closure. What do you think of Ellis' story? Have … [Read more...] about Idris Elba battled horrendous allergy and skin blotches to star in urban cowboy film
An Asda worker has been hailed as an "angel sent from heaven" after her quick thinking saved a colleague's life. Despite having never suffered an allergic reaction before Cath McCaig suddenly began gasping for air after she bit into a nutty chocolate bar. When her throat suddenly swelled up and she threw up, co-worker Arlene Nimmo sprung into action, the Daily Record reports. Cath recalled: "It just happened so quickly. "I had the chocolate and then I couldn't breathe. I managed to tap one of the lads, Frazer Burns, on the back and he and Ryan Whyte took me to Arlene in the kiosk. "I was really panicking. It was the fright of my life. I couldn't get my breath at all. I was sweating and my heart rate was sky high and I couldn't speak. "Arlene managed to get me into a position with my head back so my airwaves were opened up. Then she tried to calm me down as I thought I was dying. It's a feeling I never, ever want to have in my life again." After dialling 999, Arlene … [Read more...] about Asda worker hailed as ‘angel sent from heaven’ after saving suffocating colleague
There's an epidemic that GPs across the country are battling every day – or, I should say, another epidemic. And this one’s been a problem for as long as I’ve been a doctor. It’s the reason millions of Britons struggle to get out of bed in the morning. It leaves some unable to drive, or even do their job. I’m talking about dizziness. That feeling of being generally unsteady on your feet. It sounds insignificant, or even laughable. You might think it’s something that happens only after a few too many glasses of wine. But actually it’s one of the most common problems that bring patients through my clinic doors – and, in many cases, it’s life-destroying. And the worst part is that doctors can often be at a loss about how to help. It’s the reason millions of Britons struggle to get out of bed in the morning. It leaves some unable to drive, or even do their job. I’m talking about dizziness, writes Dr Ellie Cannon In my column a fortnight ago, I asked how many readers … [Read more...] about DR ELLIE CANNON: Why are so many of us suffering dizzy spells?