WASHINGTON — President Biden is racing to show the country that his administration is prepared for the Omicron variant as the World Health Organization warned there's a "very high" risk of new global outbreaks, a possibility that could prove demoralizing to Americans weary of a pandemic that began nearly two years ago. "This variant is a cause for concern, not a cause for panic," Biden said from the White House after holding a meeting with public health advisors Monday. Much about Omicron, which was first identified in South Africa last week, remains unclear. Some scientists fear it could prove highly contagious or evade protection from vaccines that have already been developed, but administration officials said it could take two weeks to develop clearer answers to those questions. No evidence has emerged that Omicron's symptoms are different or more severe than previous variants. The uncertainty surrounding the variant has left Biden in a delicate situation where he must demonstrate that he's taking the potential threat seriously while tamping down grim speculation before scientists assemble a more complete picture. Advertisement California How big a threat is the Omicron variant of coronavirus? Here's what we know The recent discovery of the Omicron variant of… Read full this story
- Biden gets key encouragement from firefighters union
- The best antivirus? Kaspersky leads in latest tests, but that's only part of the story
- DealBook Briefing: Boeing Faces Scrutiny Over Its Best-Selling Jet
- Giuliani: If US strikes, we could do serious damage to Iran's nuclear facilities
- Are We on the Verge of a New Golden Age?
- CRISPR Is Going To Revolutionize Our Food System—And Start A New War Over GMOs
- To pay or not to pay: Too many victims say yes to ransomware
- The Finance 202: Trump buys Chinese line on tariffs
Biden faces uncertain threat with Omicron variant as evolving pandemic tests nation’s patience have 300 words, post on www.latimes.com at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.