The United States and the European Union have agreed to aim to cut emissions of the planet-warming gas methane by around a third by the end of this decade and are pushing other major economies to join them, according to documents seen by Reuters . Their pact comes as Washington and Brussels seek to galvanize other major economies ahead of a world summit to address climate change in Glasgow, Scotland, in November, and could have a significant impact on the energy, agriculture and waste industries responsible for the bulk of methane emissions. The greenhouse gas methane, the biggest cause of climate change after carbon dioxide (CO2), is facing more scrutiny as governments seek solutions to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees, a goal of the Paris climate agreement. In an attempt to jumpstart the action, the United States andthe EU later this week will make a joint pledge to reduce human-caused methane emissions by at least 30% by 2030, compared to 2020 levels, according to a draft of the Global Methane Pledge seen by Reuters . “The short atmospheric lifetime of methane means that takingaction now can rapidly reduce the rate of global warming,” the draft said. A separate document… Read full this story
- Arctic's Icy Coastlines Retreat as Planet Warms
- Germany, France, Ireland threaten South American trade deal over Amazon wildfires
- Trump administration rolls back methane pollution rule despite harmful health impacts
- Global warming outpaces efforts to slow it: UN
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump exaggerates scope of cease-fire deal
- What Is Global Warming?
- Sharp rise in methane levels threatens world climate targets
- The planet is being consumed by humans
- Nick Clegg warns the chances of a no-deal divorce from the EU have 'accelerated' because of the Conservative Party's Brexit civil war
- Global Warming Likely Cause of Worst Mass Extinction Ever
U.S., EU pursuing global deal to slash planet-warming methane have 287 words, post on www.thehindu.com at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.