A month after his resignation from the Rajya Sabha to contest the West Bengal elections on BJP ticket, Swapan Dasgupta was renominated to the House by President Ramnath Kovind to fill the seat that fell vacant due to his resignation for his remainder term till April next. Mr. Dasgupta lost the Tarkeshwar constituency to his TMC rival, Ramendu Sinharay, by margin of over 7,000 votes. He was forced to resign from the Rajya Sabha ahead of the polls after the TMC forced legal action since a nominated member cannot contest on any party ticket while continuing to hold the post in the House. TMC chief whip in the Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Sekhar Ray told The Hindu, "I do not think it has ever happened in the history of the Rajya Sabha that a person who resigned just a month back is renominated by the President of India. The government is setting a bad precedent here by throwing all parliamentary norms out of the window." Mr. Ray termed it a shameful act. "He was sent to West Bengal, protected as a leader of the BJP. After losing the battle now, he is being rehabilitated by the backdoor. The BJP, it seems,… Read full this story
- Alyssa Milano defends Netflix's "Insatiable" against fat-shaming accusations
- Rebel Wilson says Vogue Australia did not slim her down in Photoshop
- Antonio Halili Facts: Philippines Mayor Assassinated, 'Walk Of Shame' Policy Probable Motive
- I will stand up to Trump, vows Boris: Johnson says he will be 'robust' in dealing with the US President and claims ousted British ambassador has his 'full support' - despite failing to back him before resignation
- TMC Gives CoreDial Award for CoreNexa UCaaS Solution
- ‘Shame on you, Jared Kushner’: Harvard alumni tear apart classmate in 15th reunion notes
- Now it's 15 minutes of shame not fame
- He lures alleged child predators and shames them on Facebook. Now one of his targets is dead.
- MIPCOM: Bravo, Turner Executives Say Companies' Success About Branding
- ‘GO BACK! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!’: Protestors Block Betsy DeVos From Entering DC School
Swapan Dasgupta back in Rajya Sabha; shameful, says TMC have 337 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.