Facebook and Alphabet Inc’s Google in recent years committed a combined $600 million to support news outlets globally – many of them local or regional enterprises foundering in a digital age. Thousands of media outlets received financial and other support for everything from fact checking and reporting to training, according to the tech giants’ announcements. Some publishers express gratitude for contributions they say are essential as advertising revenue has plunged. But several media analysts and news business executives told Reuters that the funding – set to last three years – does not nearly compensate for the tens of billions of dollars publishers lost as the tech companies gobbled up the digital advertising market. Google and Facebook accounted for 54% of U.S. digital advertising revenue in 2020, according to eMarketer, a market research company. Some critics dismissed the projects, including contributions of $300 million from each company, as a way to blunt complaints from publishers and generate good PR. Both tech companies face battles over compensation for news content worldwide, as well as antitrust lawsuits from regulators and publishers. Google launches News Showcase in India with 30 news publishers Content from the Indian publisher partners in English and Hindi will begin… Read full this story
- France orders Big Tech to pay digital tax despite threat of US tariffs
- France demands digital services tax from Big Tech on revenue generated in 2020
- Big Tech was already dominant. Has coronavirus made it unstoppable?
- Adonis Hoffman: Facebook, Twitter and 2020 election -- Top takeaways from Tuesday's Big Tech Senate hearing
- Tucker: Big Tech's coordinated suppression amounts to a 'censorship cartel'
- More Than Half Of American Voters Support Breaking Up Big Tech Companies, Poll Finds
- Tucker Carlson claims 2020 election was 'rigged against Trump in plain view' as he bemoans 'untrustworthy' electronic voting systems and accuses Dems of conspiring with media and big tech to swing race in Biden's favor
- REVEALED: Facebook and Twitter employees have given $2.7million to Democrats in 2020 - ten times the amount they have donated to Republicans - as big tech faces more accusations of political bias
- Tech CEO Congressional Hearing: Recap of the biggest moments you missed
- Apple, US states reach $113 million settlement on iPhone throttling
Is Big Tech's 600 million pledge for local news sufficient? have 350 words, post on brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com at June 11, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.