11 OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Michael Andrew woke up feeling nauseous the morning of his first race at the U.S. Olympic trials. Torri Huske watched last week’s meet featuring slower swimmers on TV, thinking it looked "so scary." Claire Curzan was "terrified" going into her first final. It worked out just fine for all of them. This trio of rookies is going to Tokyo. Andrew, who was tabbed for future stardom after turning pro at 14, won the 100-meter breaststroke by one-hundredth of a second to earn his spot on Monday night. Earlier, Huske and Curzan outdueled 2016 Olympian Kelsi Dahlia to finish 1-2 in the 100 butterfly. Huske set her second American record in as many days and her winning time of 55.66 seconds was the fastest in the world this year. “I got here and I’m like, ‘It's not so bad,'” said Huske, an 18-year-old from Arlington, Virginia. Curzan, a 16-year-old from Cary, North Carolina, admitted, "I honestly don’t even know how to explain it. I was about to start crying." Now 22, Andrew shared his victory with his father, mother and sister. Andrew edged Andrew Wilson in the 100 breast, touching first in 58.73 seconds. The top… Read full this story
- As Cullen Jones leaves Olympic-level competition, his mission is amplified
- ‘The Weight Of Gold’ Docu On Olympic Athletes & Mental Health Featuring Michael Phelps Set At HBO
- Maddie Rooney, Olympic hockey hero, takes her talent to Centennial High School
- Cigarette companies don't sponsor the Olympics. Why does Coca-Cola?
- Exclusive: Sajan Prakash India's ace swimmer aims at attaining 'A' Qualification mark for Tokyo Olympics
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Miami pauses reopenings as COVID-19 infections rise, schools nationally plot return
- Interview: Indian player Ramit Tandon believes it's high time squash gets included in Olympic Games
- Interview! Table Tennis star Manav Thakkar wishes to emulate MS Dhoni's calm demeanour, eyes Olympic qualification
- Team GB skateboarder, 11, fractures skull in horror fall and is ‘lucky to be alive’ after being airlifted to hospital
- Moment PC Andrew Harper's colleague found his stab vest during a desperate search after he was 'dragged to his death' behind quad bike thieves' car is shown to court
Fast rising teens join Michael Andrew on US Olympic team have 362 words, post on www.sfgate.com at June 15, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.