Yesterday's Queen Speech provided another example of the Conservative Party's winning formula for post-Brexit Britain: Left-leaning economics, which include comprehensive investment in public infrastructure and lifelong skills training, combined with forms of cultural conservatism such as tougher sentences for criminals and a much-needed overhaul of the asylum system. It will delight traditional social democrats – often located in the Left-authoritarian quadrant of political compasses – that the Notting-Hill-set blend of small-state conservatism with metropolitan social liberalism is very much dead in the water. There is one proposed piece of legislation in the Queen's Speech that very much seeks to position Boris Johnson's Conservatives as the protectors of British traditions from modern-Left cultural overreach: the Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Bill. Under the Government's plans, universities in England could face fines if they fail to protect speech on campuses. New freedom of speech and academic duties would be placed on universities and, crucially, student unions. Visiting speakers, academics and students would be empowered to seek compensation if they suffer loss from a breach of free speech obligations, with the Office for Students having the power to impose fines on institutions in the event of such breaches. The perverse Left-wing cancel culture that has taken root in universities means… Read full this story
- Bokhari: Twitter Co-Founder Jack Dorsey, Free Speech Failure
- Farage backs Elon Musk Twitter takeover as 'best news for free speech in years'
- Elon Musk wants a free speech utopia. Technologists clap back.
- SCHWEPPE: Could Elon Musk Save Free Speech And Democracy?
- Bill Maher Uses Will Smith Slap to Bemoan the Death of Free Speech
- Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for $41bn as he says takeover needed to uphold free speech
- Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for $40bn and take it private as ‘platform for free speech’
- Tory backbenchers are driving Boris Johnson’s agenda into continual U-turns
- An Abandoned Weapon in the Fight Against Hate Speech
- 'This Is Crazy:' San Francisco Cops Pull over Completely Empty Self-Driving Car
The Tory free-speech drive is a savvy electoral move have 334 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at May 12, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.