A US federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd's arrest and death, accusing them of willfully violating the Black man's constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air. A three-count indictment unsealed Friday (overnight into Saturday, NZT) names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J Kueng and Tou Thao. Specifically, Chauvin is charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure and unreasonable force by a police officer. Thao and Kueng are also charged with violating Floyd's right to be free from unreasonable seizure, alleging they did not intervene to stop Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd’s neck. All four officers are charged for their failure to provide Floyd with medical care. Floyd's arrest and death, which a bystander captured on cellphone video , sparked protests nationwide and widespread calls for an end to police brutality and racial inequities. READ MORE: Derek Chauvin’s lawyer seeks new trial over George Floyd death, claiming ‘prejudicial misconduct’ Meet Darnella Frazier, the teen being called a hero for her role in George Floyd's case ‘Justice has been served’: Teen who filmed George Floyd’s arrest celebrates Derek Chauvin’s guilty verdict Derek… Read full this story
- Two Buffalo cops plead not guilty to assault after shoving peace activist, 75, during George Floyd protest as their mugshots are released and hundreds of colleagues gather outside court in solidarity to CHEER their release without bail
- Taylor Swift Vows To Defeat Donald Trump Over Threats To Shoot George Floyd Protesters; “We Will Vote You Out”, Singer Says
- White dad with Black kids: George Floyd was my wake-up call
- NYPD officer filmed flashing white power hand gesture and laughing about it during George Floyd protests in New York City
- NYPD Officer Accused of Flashing White Power Symbol During George Floyd Protest Investigated by Attorney General
- Proud Boys Say Ashli Babbitt, Woman Shot at Capitol, 'Not a Criminal like George Floyd'
- Darren Lewis: George Floyd’s legacy is the change the world has needed to see
- Rosa Parks Refused to Give Up Her Seat 65 Years Ago, and Her Civil Rights Contributions Go On
- New Video Shows George Floyd Appeared to Be Struggling With Police Before Pinned to Ground
- George Floyd: NFL veterans Josh Norman and Josh McCown speak out on racism in US
Four ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges over George Floyd death have 390 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at May 7, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.