ST Sports Talk Ep 128: A microscope over the business of the breakaway European Super League 30:07 mins Synopsis: ST Sports Talk is The Straits Times’ weekly sports podcast. In this episode, sports correspondent Sazali Abdul Aziz chats with James Walton, who is sports business group leader at Deloitte South East Asia, about the financial reasons behind the audacious bid for a breakaway European Super League (ESL). Sazali and Walton also discuss whether these clubs' fans are partly to blame for fuelling their owners' greed, how the ESL could change the future of broadcast deals and media consumption trends, whether other sports could follow suit, and whether Walton thinks the ESL will take off at all, given all the criticism. They discuss: 1. The three reasons behind the mooted breakaway (1:33) 2. How much do teams participating stand to gain? (6:13) 3. Should clubs be more sustainably-run? (13:26) 4. The future of the landscape of broadcast deals (17:20) 5. Whether other sports could see breakaway competitions too (23:01) 6. A clear answer within two weeks (27:01) Produced by: Sazali Abdul Aziz ( [email protected] ) and Penelope Lee Edited by: Penelope Lee Subscribe to the ST Sports Talk podcast series and… Read full this story
- Football: European Super League would have less value than status quo, says UK broadcaster
- Man United, Liverpool in talks to join new European super league: Report
- Barcelona agree to join European Super League, says Bartomeu
- Football: European Super League would destroy Premier League, says Wenger
- FIFA President Infantino not interested in European Super League
- European Super League explained: How many matches would be played, which clubs involved and what about Champions League?
- European Super League set to be killed off for new radical Champions League format from 2024 including 36-team table
- Football: European supporter groups unite to oppose breakaway Super League
- Man United dismiss Super League reports, say they are focused on UEFA talks
- Soccer-Italian Federation head Gravina opposes Super League, hopeful of fans at Euro 2021 fixtures
ST Sports Talk Podcast: A microscope over the business of the breakaway European Super League have 311 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at April 21, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.