Charging is a common concern with electric vehicles. But some owners of the brand-new Mustang Mach-E have run into a peculiar problem: their electric SUVs won't start even when the main battery pack is full. That's because, The Verge has learned, there's a problem with some early Mustang Mach-E SUVs that involves how the much smaller 12-volt battery gets charged. It's the latest in a growing line of small issues that have come to light during the rollout of Ford's first long-range electric car . As is the case in other electric cars, the Mustang Mach-E keeps its 12-volt lead-acid battery topped up by essentially sipping power from the much larger lithium-ion battery pack. Based on owners' accounts across multiple forum threads, including one who spoke to The Verge , the problem is this stops happening whenever the Mustang Mach-E is plugged in to charge up the larger battery pack. That is especially an issue for owners in areas with cold weather, as Ford encourages them to leave their Mustang Mach-Es plugged in so the SUVs can use power from the grid to warm up before driving. The 12-volt battery powers many of the Mustang Mach-E's systems (since the larger… Read full this story
- Why The 2015 Ford Mustang GT Is Impossible Not To Like
- We Drove The 2015 Ford Mustang: It's Still Best With A V8 And A Stick
- The ELF Electric Pedal-Mobile: What Happens When Your Bike And Car Bone
- That Self-Driving 1965 Ford Mustang at Goodwood Was Probably Destined to Fail
- Prius recall pales next to faulty software in Mercedes Sensotronic brakes
- Ford Cancels $1.6 Billion Plant In Mexico, Announces Big Electric Car Push With U.S. Production
- More Car-Hacking Alarmism: Mac Hacker Didn't Really 'Brick' His Jeep
- Here’s Exactly What It Cost To Turn The World's Least Reliable Car Into An Off-Road Beast
- Software patents: Broken system or needed for innovation?
- Beyond simple rooting: Turning the Nook Color into a complete tablet
Bad software is turning some Mustang Mach-Es into ‘electric bricks’ have 326 words, post on www.theverge.com at April 8, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.