A liberal arts college in central Kentucky faced criticism on social media this week, after news of its virtual event linking Trumpism to white nationalist and supremacist violence garnered attention online. The event , hosted by Berea College’s Women’s and Gender Non-Conforming Center and co-sponsored by its Law, Ethics, and Society department, was titled “White Citizenship as Terrorism: Make America Great Again, Again.” It took place on Wednesday afternoon, via Zoom, and included discussion from Amy Brandzel, a professor of American and women’s studies at the University of New Mexico whose research areas focus on queer and feminist theory, critical indigenous studies, legal studies and citizenship. Brandzel authored the 2016 book, Against Citizenship: The Violence of the Normative. Berea College’s virtual seminar sought to examine the ways in which Donald Trump ‘s rhetoric and influence during his presidency informed a culture of violence, and in effect worked to “create a state fear towards particular communities and identities.” Trump’s contributions to countrywide divisiveness in terms of race, class and citizenship status have been widely discussed issues, as well as the effects of his presidency on racism, xenophobia, right-wing extremism, and white supremacist violence. “Despite calls for multiculturalism and color-blindness, segments of… Read full this story
- Black Lives Matter founding member says President Trump is the ‘embodiment of white supremacist terrorism’ and called him a hypocrite for calling a BLM mural a ‘symbol of hate’
- Goya chief executive sparks backlash over praise for Trump
- The white-collar revolt against Trump is peaking
- University reopenings amid pandemic spark faculty, staff backlash
- Students using Instagram to reveal what it is like to be 'Black at' private high schools
- 'Come out Gavin': Hundreds of furious students descend on Westminster for day three of angry protests over A-Level grades chaos as they call for education secretary to be sacked
- Top 10 Craziest College Campus Stories of 2017
- Cambridge Student Who Branded All White People Racist and Cheered BLM Rioters Complains of Backlash
- 'White silence is violence': Aggressive mob of white BLM protesters threaten and film white diners at DC restaurants and DEMAND they raise their fist and show solidarity with them.... or else
- Student protesters march on Whitehall chanting 'sack Gavin Williamson' over A-level chaos after 'horrified' pupils told how they face paying more than £150 to appeal results or resit exams 'that they didn't even take'
College's 'White Citizenship as Terrorism' Student Event Sparks Backlash have 383 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 18, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.