Video PlayerClose LONDON, Jan. 26 (Xinhua) — The COVID-19 pandemic sent unemployment rate in London rocketing to 6.9 percent from September to November 2020, the highest level in Britain, prompting the London Assembly to make a call on Tuesday for an urgent action. The 25-member assembly made the call in response to London’s latest unemployment data, published by the British Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Tuesday. Between September and November 2020, the unemployment rate across Britain rose to 5 percent, but for the three months London had the highest unemployment rate estimate in the country at 6.9 percent. Leonie Cooper, chair of the London Assembly Economy Committee said, “Today’s figures showing current unemployment levels in London are shocking, and are another stark reminder of the impact that COVID-19 has had on our economy.” “Thousands of Londoners are now unemployed,” Cooper said. “We must always remember the people and families behind these numbers, each and every one facing struggle. It must now be a political, as well as an economic priority, to protect as many jobs as possible.” Cooper said the number of Londoners losing their jobs is increasing as the months go on. “As the UK battles through its… Read full this story
- Brexit nod from parliament to unleash 4% rally in pound, send UK plc to record high
- How violent London coke gangs are ‘cuckooing’ vulnerable people and carrying out a ‘hostile takeover’ of the British countryside
- NFL Week 10 QB Power Rankings: Matthew Stafford is playing at an MVP level for a disappointing Lions team
- A16Z Leads $58M Round In UK’s TransferWise To Ramp Up Its P2P Transfer Business
- 'EXTREME Crunch' Looming if No Limits Put on Space Mining 'Gold Rush' – Research
COVID sends London's jobless rate rocketing to almost 7 pct have 277 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.