NEW DELHI Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday led the ruling BJP’s outreach on dispelling the confusion around the Citizenship Amendment Act, promoting a video on the legislation by guru Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev and asked people not to fall for “misinformation by vested interest groups”.The nearly 22-minutes-long video, tweeted by the Prime Minister with the #India supports CAA hashtag received thousands of retweets including by BJP ministers and top leaders and soon went viral. The video and the PM’s tweet are part of the Bharatiya Janata Party and government’s outreach programme to counter protests against CAA. The law fast tracks Indian citizenship for non-Muslim religious minorities from three of India’s Muslim majority neighbours. Some people protesting against it believe it is exclusionary (because it leaves out Muslims and minorities from other countries); others, especially in the North-east, where locals have traditionally been opposed to outsiders, fear that it could result in the legitimising of many of these outsiders; and still others worry that it could be the precursor to a nationwide National register of Citzens. A NRC was carried out in Assam to identify outsiders and it excluded 1.9 million people, both Hindu and Muslim. Comments… Read full this story
- PM Modi, new BJP president to meet party CMs, deputy CMs
- 42,000 postcards in support of CAA sent to PM Modi from Vadodara
- Those rejected in elections are spreading lies and confusion: PM Modi
- News updates from Hindustan Times at 5 pm: PM Modi, Amit Shah, Gautam Gambhir among 40 BJP star campaigners for Delhi and all the latest news at this hour
- Shift Shaheen Bagh protesters to makeshift camps: Subramanian Swamy to PM Modi
- Traffic to be adversely affected in Delhi due to PM Modi rally, 'Born to Run Half Marathon'
- Visit Shaheen Bagh, Listen to Concerns on CAA and NRC over Tea: Protesters Write to PM Modi
- No one should be seen with book comparing PM Modi with Shivaji Maharaj: Shiv Sena's Sanjay Raut
- RTI activist seeks proof of PM Modi's citizenship, files plea
- Fergusson College students protest against book comparing Shivaji Maharaj and PM Modi
PM Modi leads BJP outreach on CAA have 349 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at December 31, 2020. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.