The reaction to one of Europe’s first coronavirus outbreaks in Tyrol, Austria was littered with mistakes, from Chancellor Sebastian Kurz all the way down to Ischgl’s mayor, an independent commission reported on Monday. Local authorities were too slow and there were “serious miscalculations” in the early days of the outbreak in Ischgl, a popular ski resort in western Austria, said Ronald Rohrer, chairman of the expert commission set up to examine the outbreak response. A group of skiers from Iceland who had been in Ischgl first mentioned symptoms on March 3, Rohrer told reporters. By March 5, Tyrol authorities were aware and began searching for possible contacts. On March 7, an Ischgl bartender tested positive for COVID-19. “From March 8, a correct assessment should have led to the closing of bars, the stopping of ski lifts and orderly management of departures,” of tourists from Ischgl, the report said. The establishment where the bartender who tested positive worked was shut down on March 9. The next day all apres-ski locations followed suit. Too slow, poor communication But the decision was only made March 12 to shut down the rest of the ski season in Ischgl, too late “from an epidemiological point of view,” while provincial governor Günther Platter was also cited as Rohrer said he and other… Read full this story
- DR Congo poll: Five things to know about the nation that powers mobile phones
- Moily: adopt campaign mode for speedy justice
- Is the revamped Kisumu port a white elephant in the making?
- The Latest: Southern California fire toll at 713 buildings
- Facebook, Amazon and Samsung: 2019 is the year tech couldn't stop screwing up
- Nine women scientists who are doing phenomenal work
- How to think about Islamic State
- Lower Education: How A Disgraced College Chain Trapped Its Students In Poverty
- Record 32,000 badgers shot in annual cull
- After Success His Entire Career, Robert Sillerman's Final Years Were Marked by Pain, Loss and Deception
Commission blames Austrian government for poor handling of Ischgl coronavirus outbreak have 309 words, post on www.dw.com at January 12, 2020. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.