Stipe Miocic defeated Daniel Cormier by unanimous decision in a five-round bout Saturday night to win the rubber match of a fantastic trilogy between the fighters and retain his heavyweight championship at UFC 252. Miocic (20-3) swept the scorecards 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47 to stake his claim as perhaps the greatest heavyweight in UFC history. Miocic tagged Cormier with a vicious poke to his left eye late in the third round that sent the challenger staggering to his corner. Cormier’s eye was about swollen shut, but he gamely fought on the final two rounds in the main event of UFC 252 at the UFC Apex complex in Las Vegas. “I can’t see anything out of my left eye,” Cormier said. “It’s black.” Cormier was taken to the hospital after the bout. The 41-year-old Cormier (22-3, 1 NC) is a former two-division champion and has already cemented his status as one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters in UFC history. The amiable Cormier, who has found his niche as a successful broadcaster, had vowed to retire after Saturday and end a career in which 10 of his last 11 fights were fought with a championship on the line. Cormier said he stood… Read full this story
- Stipe Miocic on cleaning up the UFC heavyweight division… and the fire station toilets!
- Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem set to do battle for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 203
- Confirmed: Anderson Silva set to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200
- UFC planning Stipe Miocic-Daniel Cormier trilogy fight
- Stipe Miocic the greatest in MMA history, says UFC Hall of Famer
- Who is Stipe Miocic? UFC heavyweight champ who is also a firefighter – all you need to know
- UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic knocks out Alistair Overeem after crazy contest at UFC 203
- UFC 210: Daniel Cormier retires Anthony Johnson with brutal rear-naked choke to retain his light heavyweight belt
- Light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier to face Anthony Johnson in epic UFC 206 title rematch
- Who is Daniel Cormier? What you need to know ahead of UFC 206
Stipe Miocic outlasts Daniel Cormier to retain UFC heavyweight title have 329 words, post on www.theguardian.com at August 16, 2020. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.