MALICIOUS Google Chrome extensions downloaded by more than 80million people have been uncovered by cyber security buffs. The dodgy tools available through the Chrome Web Store allowed hackers to take over your phone or spam you with ads that tank your gadget’s battery life. More than 300 harmful extensions were uncovered by AdGuard, which builds a line of ad-blocking and privacy protection software. The downloads were disguised as ad-blocking tools, games, themes and wallpapers. They have now been removed from the Chrome Web Store. “You’ll never have to scroll far or spend a lot of time to find scam extensions,” AdGuard wrote in a blog post last week. “You can always trust Chrome Web Store to bump such extensions to the very top of the list.”AdGuard discovered the network of fake extensions while researching a series of dodgy ad-blockers. The network comprised roughly 300 extensions downloaded by 80million people worldwide. In their blog post, the team reported three tactics used by hackers to swindle unsuspecting users. One involved injecting ads into Google search results that were riddled with malware.Dodgy Google Chrome extensions to avoidHere are some of the malicious extensions discovered by AdGuard… ScreenShot & Screen Capture Elite” Kawaii Wallpaper… Read full this story
- A new Google tool tells you if your password is unsafe
- How I tried and failed to quit Google
- The 'world's fastest' foldable phone... but you might be spied on
- Google unveils Stadia video game streaming service, reveals launch window
- 15 amazing Google tricks you never knew before now
- CES 2019: Google vs. Amazon, who won?
- CES 2019 — Google v. Alexa, Samsung & LG top winners
- As Inbox fades away, here’s how to get its best features in Gmail
- 10 digital tricks you’ll wish you knew before now
- Cybersecurity for the People: How to Keep Your Chats Truly Private With Signal
Google Chrome WARNING – dodgy extensions downloaded by 80millions users could tank your phone’s battery have 299 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 11, 2020. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.