Email The Conversation By Tony Walker Updated November 26, 2019 17:38:47 Photo: Wang Liqiang’s claims are explosive but are they true? (Supplied: 60 Minutes Australia) Related Story: ASIO investigating reports of Chinese plot to install agent in Parliament, suspicious death Related Story: ‘Nothing but lies’: China accuses Australia of ‘state of hysteria and extreme nervousness’ Related Story: Chinese spy alleges Beijing ordered overseas assassinations, including in Australia Audio: Scott Morrison assures voters national security is in safe hands (PM) Map: Australia Not since the Petrov affair in 1954, when a KGB officer sought asylum in Australia with details of Soviet spying activities, has a case been as potentially significant for Australian security as that of Wang Liqiang, the man who purports to be a Chinese spy.We are using the word “potentially” in the Wang case because his accounts of Chinese espionage activities in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Australia need to be fully assessed before a more complete judgment is made about the veracity of his claims.Nine Newspapers journalists have conducted due diligence on the Wang case over some months and concluded publication is justified. But gaps remain in the defector’s narrative.These include the reasonable question of how a young man… Read full this story
- The Five Latest and Greatest Advances in Home Security Technology
- Huawei ban: Full timeline as Chinese company reports shipping 185 million phones despite Trump ban
- Yes, Russia or China Could Sink a U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier. Here's How.
- George Soros Praises President Trump's Action Against Huawei Which Will Definitely Confuse MAGAholes
- Trump made 129 false claims last week
- From IDs in grocery stores to soldiers in Syria: Trump made 129 false claims last week
- Fair Game
Chinese spy case could be the greatest threat to Australian security since Petrov defection of the 1950s have 274 words, post on www.abc.net.au at November 26, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.