NEW YORK: Large US banks reported mixed quarterly results on Tuesday (Oct 15), challenged by a shifting interest rate landscape and uncertainty about global trade but bolstered in some cases by strong consumer activity.The biggest US bank by assets, JPMorgan Chase, scored higher profits due to robust consumer lending even as Chief Executive Jamie Dimon offered a subdued outlook on the US economy, due in part to lingering worries about an economic slowdown due to the trade war.Earnings also rose at Citigroup but profits fell sharply at Goldman Sachs amid a drop in key advisory services and at Wells Fargo, which was hit by higher legal costs as it continues to try to pivot from a series of scandals and regulatory issues.Executives said the United States continues to enjoy a strong employment picture but that some clients are holding back investments in light of uncertainty over trade.Other big international wildcards include the grinding Brexit negotiations and ongoing civil unrest in Hong Kong.”There’s a fair amount of uncertainty on trade and a host of other issues,” said Citigroup Chief Financial Officer Mark Mason.Mason said last week’s partial trade deal between the United States and China was “an important step” but that the… Read full this story
- Weak August US jobs report throws doubt on Fed taper
- Analysis: Weak August U.S. jobs report throws doubt on Fed taper
- Bank of Thailand Governor Says Interest-Rate Hikes Coming Soon
- 'Commodities to struggle amid Fed uncertainty, increasing virus cases, tensions in Afghanistan'
- FTSE edges into red after Bank of England opens door for rate hike next year
- Dow drops more than 500 points amid Fed, Delta variant jitters
- Dow drops more than 700 points amid Fed, Delta variant jitters
- Dollar slides to 2-1/2 month low as Fed rate hike fears subside
- First Solar (FSLR) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Zumiez (ZUMZ) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcript
US banks report mixed earnings amid Fed rate shifts, trade uncertainty have 306 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.