OTTAWA (Reuters) – Canada’s ruling Liberals took an early lead after polls closed in four provinces on Monday, as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau battled to remain in power after two major scandals and a spirited challenge by the opposition Conservatives. The Liberals were leading or elected in 25 of 32 electoral districts in Atlantic Canada by 8:30 p.m. EDT (0030 GMT on Tuesday) despite a drop in their overall popular vote from the 2015 election, according to the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. Some Liberal losses had been expected in the region after Trudeau led the party to a clean sweep there four years ago. Atlantic Canada makes up less than 10% of the seats in the House of Commons. The national race was expected to be closer as Trudeau, who took power as a charismatic figure promising “sunny ways,” battles Conservative leader Andrew Scheer for the chance to form the next government. Polls close in the vote-rich provinces of Ontario and Quebec at 9:30 p.m. EDT (0130 GMT on Tuesday). National voting is scheduled to end in the Pacific Coast province of British Columbia at 10 p.m. EDT (0200 GMT on Tuesday) Trudeau, 47, the Liberal Party leader, was endorsed by… Read full this story
- As the Polls Close, Here’s What We Know About the Voting in Georgia
- Armenia’s acting PM’s party takes early lead in parliamentary election
- Armenia's acting PM's party takes early lead in parliamentary election
- Armenia's acting PM claims victory as party takes early lead in parliamentary election
- Ethiopia: Polls close as votes cast amid conflict, logistical issues
- Batley and Spen by-election: What time do polls close and when can we expect the result?
- As polls close in Georgia, light Election Day turnout a worry for Loeffler, Perdue
- Local election polls and odds – who will win in 2021?
- Brexit Poll Tracker, All The Predictions So Far
- Midterm elections 2018 results, live updates and exit polls throughout election night
Trudeau's Liberals take early lead after first Canadian polls close have 306 words, post on feeds.reuters.com at October 21, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.