The UK and EU will kick off “intensive” Brexit negotiations today, after EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier gave Brussels the green-light to arrange a deal. John Redwood revealed his piece of advice for Mr Johnson, urging him to seek a free trade agreement. Speaking on how to unlock the Brexit “impasse”, Mr Redwood told BBC’s Today Programme: “I think the border issue is greatly exaggerated because it’s within the interests of the EU and the Republic of Ireland to exaggerate it. “It’s mainly about what kind of barriers the EU would want to impose on their side because we don’t really need barriers on our side, other than the ones we’ve already got. But the way to unlock it is to have a free trade agreement. “But why can’t the EU see it and why can’t they understand if they can do a free trade agreement to Japan and Canada they could surely give one to their near neighbours who, under treaty, they have to have a good relationship with us.” On whether Mr Johnson would have “difficulty” getting his current Brexit proposal through the Commons, the Tory MP for Wokingham said: “I think it’s extremely difficult moving between the… Read full this story
- Can Boris Johnson get his Brexit deal past MPs, will there be a second referendum or will there be a No Deal departure on October 31? All your questions answered ahead of another baffling week in Westminster
- General Election 2019 latest: Boris Johnson will bring Brexit deal to Parliament before Christmas to get the job done
- Boris Johnson Follows Donald Trump's Lead On Immigration, Unveiling Plans For Major Crackdown
- General Election 2019: Voters say Boris Johnson edged live ITV debate with Jeremy Corbyn by 51% to 49%
- Boris Johnson's final masterplan for a Brexit deal is revealed: EU envoy delivers five-point alternative to the backstop to Brussels - as Number 10 warns PM will BOYCOTT summit if leaders reject it
- 'We see a pathway to a deal': Boris Johnson and Leo Varadkar hold out hope that there COULD be a Brexit breakthrough after last-ditch talks at luxury Cheshire wedding venue - but Irish PM warns 'there is many a slip between cup and lip'
- No10 warns Brexit deal could be DEAD if Labour and Remainers force through customs union amendment - as Boris Johnson faces week of 'guerrilla warfare' with Speaker John Bercow set to block him from holding crunch vote again today
- Boris Johnson’s Supreme Court Calamity
- Why does Boris Johnson want a December election amid the Brexit stalemate?
- The Man From Del Monte says b******s to Brexit: RICHARD LITTLEJOHN watches gurning gargoyle John Bercow block Boris Johnson's deal (again)
John Redwood names two countries Boris Johnson should follow to 'unlock' Brexit impasse have 442 words, post on feedproxy.google.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.