OK, the title of this column is a play on the famous slogan of the 1950s and 1960s. The 1962 war was seen as a stab in the back by a friend. No more bonhomie. Ever since then the relationship between the two most populous nations, who also happen to be neighbours, has been tinged with suspicion. Indeed, China is the main reason why India is reluctant to embrace a 16-nation free trade deal called the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RECP), which includes most nations of Southeast Asia, and Australia, Japan and South Korea. This grouping of 16 represents nearly half the world’s population and 40 per cent of global GDP. Most of these also happen to be fast growing economies, unlike stagnating economies of Europe. So if India links up with this grouping it would plug into a dynamically growing region, with a big market for our exports. The 16-nation treaty, being hammered out for past five years, is stuck because they can’t reach a consensus, mainly because of one stubborn nation, i.e. India. Since the grouping also includes China, India’s apprehension is that an omnibus mega free trade agreement, even with safeguards, would open the floodgates for more… Read full this story
- Coronavirus travel restrictions block arrivals from China, as Government warns visas could be cancelled
- India's coronavirus count nears 300-mark; ICMR widens testing net
- Coronavirus: Why is India testing so little?
- Pre-emptive lockdown India’s best fighting chance against coronavirus: Experts
- Is Shinzo Abe's 'new nationalism' a throwback to Japanese imperialism?
- More coronavirus cases outside mainland China than inside as pandemic accelerates
- In 15 days, coronavirus epicentre shifts from China to Europe
- India not immune to covid-19 pandemic, growth momentum to be impacted: RBI Governor
- Asia Gold-India discounts at widest in five months as prices surge
- US pharmaceutical industry aims to wrest some drug production back from China
India-China buy buy have 312 words, post on ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com at October 12, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.