Date created : 02/05/2019 – 21:49 France coach Corinne Diacre has revealed her squad for the women’s World Cup held on home soil this summer, omitting the French league’s top scorer Marie-Antoinette Katoto. Diacre made the announcement live on France’s most popular news programme, just like Didier Deschamps ahead of the men’s World Cup last year, in the latest indicator of the growth of women’s football.“It was a difficult choice,” Diacre said of her decision to drop Katoto, suggesting she had placed the team’s interests first. “Marie-Antoinette has huge potential. She is young and has plenty of time ahead of her,” she added.Diacre and Katoto had a fallout earlier this year, with the coach telling the press that the 20-year-old striker “will have to think hard about what she wants”. There were few other surprises in Diacre’s choice of players, with Lyon stars Wendie Renard, Amandine Henry and Eugénie Le Sommer all in the squad. The hosts, who are yet to win any silverware at a World Cup, will face South Korea, Norway and Nigeria in the group stage, with a possible last-16 showdown with title holder USA lying in wait.French organisers are hoping the tournament will showcase the women’s… Read full this story
- Cheika’s Australians to play with verve at Rugby World Cup
- Bundee Aki believes increased pressure will help Ireland’s World Cup bid
- Around the World Cup (Day 14)
- Rugby World Cup 2019: From Tokyo to Otsu, Wales' change of pace for Fiji
- CONCACAF representing well with Mexico, United States so far at FIFA World Cup in South Africa
- Slovenia determined to upset United States at World Cup, earn place 'in the global map of football'
- U.S. soccer coach Bob Bradley makes the right call leaving Charlies Davies off World Cup roster
- Charlie Davies left off preliminary U.S. World Cup soccer roster announced by coach Bob Bradley
- World Cup 2010: Uruguay wins Group A thanks to goal from Luiz Suarez in 1-0 victory over Mexico
- England into the foothills as 'real' World Cup begins
PSG’s Katoto dropped from French squad for 2019 World Cup have 337 words, post on www.france24.com at May 2, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.