William Westhoven Morristown Daily Record
Published 4:40 PM EDT Apr 15, 2019
A 15-month-old boy drowned in a backyard pool Saturday in Hopatcong, borough police confirmed Monday.
Devon Williams was in the backyard with his mother and siblings during a warm afternoon when, at some point, he climbed stairs and entered the pool, Lt. Meghan McCluskey said.
Responders rushed to 26 Bonaparte Road at 4:09 p.m. for a report of a possible drowning. Borough police and members of the Hopatcong First Aid Squad performed CPR on the boy. He was then transported to a local hospital, where he later died, McCluskey said.
“Our investigation is not complete at this time, but it does not appear to be suspicious,” McCluskey said.
Born on Jan. 12, 2018, Devon was the son of Sean Williams and Jill Chasse, owner-operators of the Solstice Cafe, a coffee shop and wellness center near the shore of Lake Hopatcong.
The community rallied around the family almost immediately Monday, establishing online GoFundMe and Meal Train pages for supporters to pledge donations.
“There are times that nothing else matters except pulling together as a community and helping others,” Robin DeLorenzo wrote. “The Williams family are going through the unimaginable. They need our help as a community and financially to get through this tragedy.”
More litigation: Open government activist files fourth suit against Rockaway Township
Morris Township: Man accused of burglarizing home, escaping police custody
William Westhoven: 973-917-9242; [email protected]
- Protect Children From Drowning - Part 2 - Choosing the Right Pool Alarm For Your Backyard Pool
- Backyard Pool Landscaping
- Above Ground Pools - Make an Informed Choice
- You're Enjoying Your Pool - Now What About Supplies?
- Summer Marks the Time to Remember Active Supervision Around Family Swimming Pools
- Protect Children From Drowning - Part 1 - Layers of Protection Around the Backyard Swimming Pool
- Your Swimming Pool - Keep it a Safe Place For Everyone to Play
- Pool Safety Covers
- Outdoor Games and Activities for Toddlers
- Advantages of Pool Covers