Former Wales coach Scott Johnson has breezed into his new job with Australia and immediately fired a World Cup warning to Warren Gatland’s Six Nations kings. Brash Aussie Johnson this week took up his role as the Wallabies’ first director of rugby. And in his opening press conference, he was typically bullish about their prospects of lifting the World Cup for a third time. “We have as much chance as anyone else – we won’t be walking backwards,” he declared. “The Wallabies are a funny one, they got to the last World Cup final. Everyone talks about the problems in Australian rugby from afar, that’s what you hear, but there’s a lot of countries around the world that wish they had the same problems.” Australia will clash with Wales on September 29 in Tokyo in a match which could decide the outcome of Pool D with the winner of the group potentially avoiding a quarter-final with England. Johnson will play a key role in attempting to reinvigorate a Wallaby team which won only four of its 13 Tests during 2018 to slump to sixth in the world rankings. The losses included a 9-6 defeat to Wales in Cardiff, their first… Read full this story
- Andy Farrell and Gregor Townsend among favourites to replace Lions coach Warren Gatland
- Matt Dawson backs Warren Gatland to stay on as Lions coach for 2025 Australia tour
- Arsene Wenger recruits 10 legends including John Terry and Michael Owen to force through World Cup every two years
- England coach Eddie Jones issues warning after 2023 Rugby World Cup draw
- World Cup legend and two-times tour skipper Martin Johnson backs Lions plans to hold a UK series against South Africa
- Factbox-Soccer-Q&A on FIFA's plans for a biennial World Cup
- Six Nations 2021: England’s Tom Curry is becoming world’s best No 7 after taking tips from Richie McCaw
- Wales star George North shares video update running 17 weeks after nightmare knee injury
- Woman who killed lover after sedating him with milkshake 'inspired by plot from Frasier'
- Samoa coach wants Pacific Island nations included in 2025 Lions tour of Australia
The ex-Wales coach plotting a World Cup ambush of Warren Gatland have 338 words, post on www.walesonline.co.uk at March 29, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.