SAN DIEGO (AP) — Nearly four decades removed from a stint in the short-lived USFL, Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Polian will preside over the opening weekend of the newest spring league, the Alliance of American Football. “It’s one more challenge at the end of a long career,” said Polian, 76, who co-founded the AAF with Charlie Ebersol, a TV and film producer whose father, Dick, defined NBC Sports’ programming for more than two decades and created “Sunday Night Football.”Polian simply wasn’t ready for retirement after an NFL career in which he helped build Buffalo, Carolina and Indianapolis into Super Bowl teams, with the Colts winning the NFL championship after the 2006 season. This alternative league seems to stand a better chance of surviving than others, such as the USFL and the World League, because of the people and philosophies involved. “I’ve been pretty vocal about channeling the thoughts of so many of my friends in the NFL, in coaching and player personnel, that since the demise of NFL Europe, it’s needed a developmental league, where players can come in and learn and develop skills,” Polian said. “When Charlie approached me about this, we discussed it at great length… Read full this story
- How American football helped these immigrant brothers embrace being different
- Famous football fans who posed in body paint - from Italy WAG to Miss BumBum
- Crisis or cost of doing business? College football reckons with the tampering era
- John Fury accepts Jake Paul's offer for boxing showdown and will "make him look stupid"
- Column: Spring football league's time has come ... and gone
- Jackson State football spring game: Travis Hunter reflects on picking Deion Sanders' Tigers over Florida State
- The 26 Best New Spring 2022 Fragrances
- ProTech Making Football Safer Amid 'Vital' Need For Youth Sports
- USFL schedule 2022: Scores, dates, times and matchups for the entire season of new spring football league
- Five key spring football questions: Clemson Tigers
Alliance of American Football looks to blossom this spring have 314 words, post on apnews.com at February 8, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.