Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on Monday, a day before they’re scheduled to become the first international observers to visit the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir since India stripped the part under its control of its semi-autonomous status in August, imposing a severe security forces crackdown on protesters in the region. Modi’s government had previously denied access to Kashmir to United Nations special rapporteurs , US congressmen and foreign journalists. The US representatives had expressed concerns over India’s block on diplomats and foreign media that prevented them from accessing the region. “Their visit to Jammu and Kashmir should give the delegation a better understanding of the cultural and religious diversity of the region of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh,” Modi said. Modi told the MEPs that the visit would provide them with a clear view of Kashmir’s development priorities. Read more : India’s forced unity will not bring peace Unofficial visit in personal capacity An Indian delegate from the EU said the trip was not official; it was being made in a personal capacity by 27 EU lawmakers from 11 countries. They are expected to fly to Kashmir on Tuesday and meet with government officials and residents to assess the situation…. Read full this story
- Prime minister Modi woos US technology companies to focus on India, not China
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to join Facebook Q&A
- Google search reveals Indian prime minister among 'top 10 criminals'
- India's next prime minister barred from office's 1.24M Twitter following
- Indian trade minister to argue against 'illegal' US Immigration Bill
- Modi Deserves Kudos For 'Chennai Connect' With Xi
- PM Modi to attend key financial conference in Saudi Arabia; to meet King Salman
- Keith Vaz writes to Modi over demonitisation concerns of NRIs in UK
- Indian PM Modi visits US tech chiefs in wake of draconian encryption policy debacle
- PM Tweets In 3 Languages As He Lands In Chennai For Meet With Xi Jinping
MEPs to visit Kashmir after meeting with Indian Prime Minister Modi have 321 words, post on www.dw.com at January 28, 2019. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.