President Trump visited American military forces on Wednesday in Iraq, making his first trip to troops stationed in a combat zone only days after announcing his intention to withdraw the United States from foreign wars in Syria and Afghanistan. The trip, shrouded in secrecy, came during a partial government shutdown and less than a week after Mr. Trump disrupted the military status quo and infuriated even some of his political allies by announcing plans to withdraw all troops from Syria and about half from Afghanistan. The president’s decision on Syria led to the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. Speaking to troops at Al Asad Air Base, Mr. Trump defended his move in Syria. “We’re no longer the suckers, folks,” the president said. “Our presence in Syria was not open-ended and was never intended to be permanent. Eight years ago, we went there for three months and we never left.” Mr. Trump, who visited the air base with his wife, Melania, said he had rejected requests from military commanders to remain in Syria for another six months. “I said, ‘Nope.’ I gave you a lot of six months,” the president said. “And now we’re doing it a different way.” Mr…. Read full this story
- 9 Biggest Mistakes Health Care Providers Make That Result in Surprise Visits From Fraud Investigator
- Ways to Make People Visit Your Site
- Best Hotels in France - Making Your Visit to France Memorable!
- Transport Costs Can Make Hospital Visits Expensive
- An American Shia Perspective on the Iraq War
- ‘This Creates Fear’: Trump Rally Turns Spotlight on Minnesota’s Somali Community
- ‘You Are Leaving Us to Be Slaughtered’: Putting Out Trump’s Syria Fire
- Let's Make Obama President of Iraq and Make it a US Territory!
- The Secrets of Donald Trump
- American Water Spaniel - Dog Breeds
Trump Makes Surprise Visit to American Troops in Iraq have 305 words, post on www.nytimes.com at December 25, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.