Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett has been jailed for six years after being convicted of sexually abusing three boys over an eight-year period.Torbett, 71, was found guilty after a trial at the High Court in Glasgow. He had denied the charges.Two victims had been in his under-14s football teams, while the third was abused by Torbett at the age of five.Lord Beckett told Torbett: “You groomed boys and contrived situations when you could abuse them”Yours is some of the most corrupting behaviour I have ever heard of in these courts.”He added: “Your depraved conduct towards innocent children has blighted their lives.”How Torbett used football as cover for his crimesThe judge told Torbett that Celtic Boys Club had given opportunities to hundreds of aspiring young footballers. But he added: “You used the club as a front for child sexual abuse.”There were tears in the public gallery as the verdict was announced, and emotional scenes in the foyer of the court as those affected by the case embraced each other. Torbett, of Kelvindale, Glasgow, was found guilty of five abuse charges between August 1986 and August 1994.Torbett had previously been jailed for two years in 1998 for abusing three young Celtic… Read full this story
- TV writer’s funny memoir gets serious about women in Hollywood
- Inside the Kennedy "Curse": How the Dynasty Endures in the Wake of So Much Tragedy and Scandal
- Reading list: The Denver Post sports department’s favorite sports books to ride out the coronavirus
- Robert Mitchum Was Mr. Bad Taste and Trouble Himself
- How ‘The Invisible Man’ Made A $29M Appearance For Universal & Blumhouse – Sunday Final
- The roots of the Christchurch mosque massacre gunman
Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett guilty of abusing boys have 278 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 5, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.