By Ian WhittellHe smiled, charmed, and quipped his way through a relatively stern interrogation from the media yesterday but, after the dust had settled on Jose Mourinho’s press conference ahead of tonight’s Champions League tie with Valencia, it was hard not to sense a hint of change in the Old Trafford air.The Spanish side, currently 14th in La Liga, visit tonight with a wretched Newcastle United, an even more dysfunctional collective than Mourinho’s club, at Old Trafford four days later, for a week in which two more defeats would, surely, prompt the club’s hierarchy into drastic action.The form book suggests such an outcome is unlikely yet, still, there was an end-of-empire feel about Mourinho’s performance yesterday.Not quite Jose’s last stand, perhaps, but we may well be past the beginning of the end phase and somewhere in its middle.“Hello, hello!” chirped Mourinho as he walked into the busy press conference just 48 hours after the demoralising defeat at West Ham.Yet, for all the forced bonhomie from both sides in the room, it was not long before the real business came under discussion, issues such as whether Mourinho feels his job on the line.“No, I don’t think.”Or whether he had spoken with… Read full this story
- Mourinho happy to see Alli return to best form
- Still queuing? Shake Shack will 'definitely' open another outlet in Singapore
- May 23 to be observed as 'Day of Chabahar': Rouhani
- How I Learned to Love Dying (in
- Commentary: China and India – the region’s twin growth engines – are stuttering
- Hungry girl seeks perfect burger in Singapore – will a famous expat win her heart?
- The Ballad of Mike Love
- Tides of change: As fish and coral disappear, Palau faces the economic realities of climate change
- Is there a future for independent boutique hotels in Singapore?
- Commentary: WEF's annual Davos meeting is coming to Singapore. That move should be permanent
Jose Mourinho’s charm offensive can’t shake end-of-days atmosphere have 317 words, post on www.irishexaminer.com at October 1, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.