Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Asia Pacific Subscribe Log In Subscribe Log In Advertisement Supported by ByCharlotte Graham-McLay June 21, 2018 WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand gave birth to her first child, a girl, on Thursday, making her the first world leader in almost three decades to give birth while in office. Ms. Ardern, who announced the birth on social media, did not say whether a name had been chosen yet. Ms. Ardern, 37, whose youth and surprise rise to power have made her a global celebrity, delivered her baby at the country’s largest public hospital, in Auckland. Once she entered the hospital on Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters officially assumed the role of acting prime minister. “Welcome to our village wee one,” Ms. Ardern posted on Instagram. “Feeling very lucky to have a healthy baby girl that arrived at 4.45pm weighing 3.31kg (7.3lb),” she wrote. “Thank you so much for your best wishes and your kindness.” Ms. Ardern will take six weeks of parental leave before returning to work, at which point her partner Clarke Gayford, the host of a television show about fishing, will become a stay-at-home… Read full this story
- New Zealand leader Jacinda Ardern marks Anzac Day -- from her driveway
- New Zealand will begin reopening schools and businesses from next Monday as PM Jacinda Ardern declares: 'We've done what few countries have been able to do - stop devastation'
- New Zealand's level four coronavirus lockdown has been strict. Here are some of the differences with Australia
- TV presenter's attempt to bake a Jacinda Ardern cake fails spectacularly
- 'Just another patient': New Zealand nurse tells of treating British PM for virus
- Piers Morgan heaps praise on Jacinda Ardern for taking a pay cut during the coronavirus pandemic - and slams other politicians for not doing the same
- New Zealand lockdown releases charity spirit as Ardern 'be kind' mantra kicks in
- Debate over when and how to ease New Zealand's lockdown turns personal
- Josh Frydenberg dodges calls for a paycut as Jacinda Ardern says New Zealand politicians will take a 20 per cent reduction to their wages
- Jacinda Ardern signals modest loosening of New Zealand's coronavirus lockdown rules
New Zealand’s Leader, Jacinda Ardern, Delivers a Baby Girl have 359 words, post on www.nytimes.com at June 21, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.