The president on Monday claimed the Mueller probe is unconstitutional and insisted he can pardon himself. As President Donald Trump claims an “absolute right” to pardon himself, top Democratic lawmakers are countering with their own message: “You are not a king.” “The restoration of King George lll without his splendid education,morals,or grace,” Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, tweeted, linking to Trump’s post claiming unfettered power to pardon himself for any potential crimes.Story Continued Below Cohen’s rejoinder followed a similar comparison by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee. Nader noted that no president had ever tried to pardon himself and that the framers of the Constitution believed such a notion was “inherently corrupt.” “These men had just fought a war against a king, and had no intention of turning their new nation over to another,” Nadler said in a statement. A third Democrat on the committee also rejected Trump’s argument for a similar reason: “Let me remind you of something, we don’t live in a monarchy and you are not a king,” said Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.). The sharp escalation of rhetoric followed Trump’s assertion of nearly unfettered authority… Read full this story
- President Trump Pardons Ex–Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Democrats Say Trump’s Halt to W.H.O. Funding Breaks ‘Same Spending Laws that Brought About His Impeachment’
- Senate Democrats press Trump to extend work protections for DACA, TPS recipients amid pandemic
- Roger Stone on Trump Pardon: Nothing Promised to Me, I Have not Applied
- Trump calls himself ‘king of testing’ as govs in states worst hit by coronavirus warn it’s too soon to reopen US
- Democrats warn against pausing WHO aid: Coronavirus not time to 'upend our relationship'
- Democrats Call Trump ‘Xenophobe’ yet Obama, Sanders Have Praised Immigration Reduction to Boost Wages
- US Senator Warns Trump, Americans Against Listening to WikiLeaks Founder Assange
- An Oral History of the Pandemic Warnings Trump Ignored
- Democrats Warn Senators They Could Be Trump's Next Targets In Closing Impeachment Arguments
Democrats warn Trump on pardon powers: ‘You are not a king’ have 341 words, post on www.politico.com at June 4, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.