For all its sun, sand and craft beer, San Diego has pined to be great.About 150 years ago, city father Alonzo Horton called it “Heaven on Earth.” Around 1910, merchant and philanthropist George Marston dubbed it California’s Plymouth Rock. And in 1972 Mayor Pete Wilson named San Diego “America’s Finest City” despite the Republican national convention’s relocation to Miami Beach.A couple of out-of-town academics arrived soon after that and produced a visionary plan that’s been republished, translated into Spanish and augmented by seven new essays.It’s called “Temporary Paradise?” but unlike most planning documents, this one remains as relevant today as it was in 1974.Its authors, MIT’s Kevin Lynch and UC Berkeley’s Donald Appleyard lauded San Diego’s attributes that make it a paradise — the weather, the seaside setting.But they also but pointed out its shortcomings — traffic congestion, environmental degradation, housing shortages, even then.“The city’s magnificent site, for which its citizens have such strong affection, is still intact, but may be losing some of its best qualities,” they said.That’s why they appended a question mark in the title.Citizens Coordinate for Century 3, which has issued a series of documents about “Temporary Paradise?” over the years, is planning a formal rollout… Read full this story
- San Diego Rejects Calls to Defund Police, Increases Department's Budget
- Los Angeles opens 3-game series at San Diego
- Davies expected to start for San Diego at Colorado
- San Diego County removed from California coronavirus watch list
- San Diego takes 3-game skid into matchup with Miami
- San Diego Couple Say They Were Maced During Reported Mask Dispute: 'We Want Justice'
- San Diego Museum Changes Its Name to Promote Inclusivity and Decolonization
- Lyles expected to start as Texas hosts San Diego
- 48-year-old elephant euthanized at San Diego Zoo
- Navy SEAL's trial for war crimes begins in San Diego
San Diego — a 'temporary' paradise? have 303 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at March 30, 2018. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.