A charity is set to host a film screening in Aberdeen after receiving backing from The Proclaimers.
As part of a fundraising effort, Ditch Debt with Dignity will offer people the chance to see Sunshine on Leith at Aberdeen’s Belmont Filmhouse on February 16 from 7pm to 11pm.
The organisation offers free, confidential guidance and support for families privately struggling with their finances but who are perceived to be financially stable.
Wendy Flemming, founder and charity financial planner, said: “Sometimes on the outside it may look like someone is financially stable, but they aren’t.
“We help them deal with creditors and open bills that they might not feel comfortable doing themselves.”
Wendy came up with the idea after brainstorming a way to bring both men and women to the event on Valentine’s Day weekend.
Sunshine on Leith focuses on two soldiers who return home to Edinburgh to resume their romantic and family lives and features songs from The Proclaimers.
She said: “We thought about showing Sunshine on Leith and had to get permission from The Proclaimers since they still own the rights to it.
“At first we were denied, but after we wrote to them and told them why we wanted to show the film we got a letter back from them saying they backed our cause.
“It would be a rare opportunity for the city to watch the film.”
The charity is currently helping 16 families and is looking to increase that number.
“In 2016 we helped seven families and by November 2017 we managed to help 10 families – in only a month.
“The charity is looking to expand and continue our work by taking on more advisors and administrative staff. Ideally we would like to help as many families as possible.”
All proceeds from the event go straight Ditch Debt with Dignity.
Those interested can buy tickets for the event by visiting bit.ly/2DJNnGa
- Bake Off star Prue Leith's son Danny Kruger who is Boris Johnson's top troubleshooter is one of SIX Tory candidates in the running for a plum Conservative safe seat
- Charity’s plea for donations not to be abandoned in the rain
- Free skin cancer screenings in the Tampa Bay area for Melanoma Monday 2018
- Want an invite for the OnePlus 2? Bid for one on eBay and help a great cause, too
- Charity auction gives you the chance to own Steve Jobs’ business cards
- Saving frames and saving lives at this year’s AGDQ, a week-long charity gaming marathon
- Donate to charity while chatting with a celebrity with new app Chatter
- Mac Pro goes for $977,000 at Jony Ive and Marc Newson’s (RED) charity auction
- Got an extra $100,000? You could bid to win a lunch with Apple CEO Tim Cook
- Apple Donates one-of-a-kind iPad Pro & Accessories for Charity Auction