Story highlights Emails obtained by CNN include information about a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center mold outbreak Six deaths have been linked to mold growth on linens at three UPMC hospitals (CNN)The likely source of a deadly mold outbreak that started in 2014 at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospitals was the hospitals’ linen provider, according to findings shared in emails exclusively obtained by CNN. UPMC informed the Allegheny County Health Department, Pennsylvania Department of Health, and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that its independent testing led UPMC officials to believe the linens were the likely source of the outbreak, according to the emails. Six deaths since October 2014 have been linked to heavy mold growth on linens at three UPMC hospitals — Presbyterian, Montefiore and Shadyside. Three families have filed wrongful death lawsuits against UPMC and its laundry provider, Paris Co., alleging the linens caused fungal infections that killed their loved ones. The cases are ongoing. Two other families settled with UPMC out of court over the deaths of their loved ones. The new emails reveal additional testing seeking to pinpoint the source of the outbreak. Mold at two Pittsburgh hospitals linked to 5 deaths An email… Read full this story
- At Least 11 Dead and Officers Shot in Saturday Morning Attack on Pittsburgh Synagogue
- The Source of That Mysterious E. Coli Outbreak Has Likely Been Found
- The Strange and Curious Case of the Deadly Superbug Yeast
- University freshman becomes latest casualty of adenovirus outbreak
- 30 now ill, including 10 deaths, in adenovirus outbreak in New Jersey
- CDC warns residents in 8 states of cut-fruit Salmonella outbreak
- Health officials warn against eating romaine citing E. coli outbreak
- Are Anti-Vaxxers to Blame for Europe's Current Measles Outbreak?
- It Started as an Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly
- Red Dead Redemption 2 release date, character list, news and rumors
Emails suggest linens to be 'likely' source in deadly mold outbreak at Pittsburgh hospitals have 297 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 29, 2017. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.