Phelps makes it 21 Michael Phelps underlined his status as the greatest Olympian of all time with his 20th and 21st Olympic gold medals. The American held off a late challenge from Japan’s Masato Sakai to win the 200m butterfly in a time of 1:53.26, before seeing the US home on the final leg of the 4x200m freestyle relay, with the US finishing almost three seconds ahead of silver medallists Great Britain. Elsewhere in the pool, Phelps’ compatriot Katie Ledecky won her second gold of the Games, edging out Sweden’s Sarah Sjostrom in the 200m freestyle final in a time of 1:53.73. American Ledecky was just outside world record pace, but managed to hold off a spirited effort by Sjostrom. Germany off the mark Germany finally broke their Rio 2016 gold medal duck , after Michael Jung won the individual eventing. Jung beat France’s Astier Nicolas to the gold just hours after collecting a silver with the German team. The gold is Jung’s third in the Olympics after he won the team and individual honors at London in 2012. Phillip Dutton, of the USA, claimed bronze behind Nicolas. In the end Jung’s win was fairly comfortable. He finished with 40.90… Read full this story
- NBCSN serves Olympic programming the next two weeks
- It’s golf’s time to deliver a good show at the Olympics
- When Michael Phelps raced Libby Trickett at Duel in the Pool
- Le Clos hungrier than ever for Olympic glory in Tokyo
- All the Details Behind Michael and Nicole Phelps' Wedding Day (Including Their Ring Bearer, Boomer!)
- Boomer the Ring Bearer! See Michael Phelps' Son Pose with His Parents on Their Wedding Day
- Kurt Angle recalls devastation, exultation of Olympic wrestling gold medal
- Kiszla: Is it a curse? Coronavirus, boycott, war and stuff that shatters Olympic dreams every 40 years.
- Green Pool, DiCaprio Twin and Other Curiosities at the Rio Olympics
- Gold, silver and bronze
Olympics Day 4 round-up: Phelps wins 21st gold, Germany in the medals, Serena falters have 310 words, post on www.dw.com at August 10, 2016. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.