► A voyage of Discovery in the Sahara ► Classic CAR adventure drive from 2006 ► Part of our new CAR+ archive service First, check that it really exists. Second, find out where it is. Then pack your spare undies into a Land Rover Discovery and head off to the Sahara.I take the warm, saggy teat in my hand, and the camel turns to look at me with a glum expression. Around me the eyes of the desert nomads watch through their headscarves, as a metal bowl is held beneath the udder. I grab the flaccid skin and begin to massage and squeeze, and almost instantly the sound of squirting milk fills the silence. The men’s eyes twinkle. I stand back, triumphant, and the metal bowl is offered to me in a gesture of traditional desert generosity. I look down at the creamy brown froth. There are bits in it. And a couple of fleas. It smells like over-ripe yoghurt and I’ve heard that the camels of the Sahara carry tuberculosis. I glance back up at the expectant faces around me, and realise the word ‘pasteurised’ is never going to float with this crowd. So I drink. Standing in a… Read full this story
- Land Rover Discovery review.. just how tough is this beast? And is it the world’s best family SUV?
- Incredible moment a Land Rover tows a 110-tonne road train across the Australian Outback
- Land Rover Defender revived: 4x4 returns at Frankfurt motor show
- Jaguar races hi-tech drones through its huge XJ in epic video – with the loser forced to walk home
- 11 of the most epic Emmerdale deaths of all time – from cars cliff-diving to burning barns
- We review the Range Rover Westminster from price to economy and all its features
- Space discoveries that will blow your mind
- We review the Jeep Grand Cherokee (2013) from price to economy and all its features
- We need fresh ideas… so let’s clear these political duds out of Parliament
- How well do you know Britain’s Prince Harry?
From Here to Timbuktu - epic desert trek in a Land Rover Discovery: CAR+ archive, April/May 2006 have 330 words, post on www.carmagazine.co.uk at September 30, 2015. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.