“How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?”I will always remember the day Frank (my father) sang these words to me.I, like so many other people have had many conflicting ideas about how to be a man.Lesley (my mother) often criticized Frank, and only now am I beginning to understand what is likely to be true.I believe there is no simple formula to follow to be a man. The advice “be yourself” may be true, though I did not find the advice at all useful.After years of attempting to model Lesley’s idea about what she expected of Frank, I have found that is definitely not the way to go.Many of the role models that I admired were not the best role models to follow. Many people said Frank was weak. Yet I have discovered that much of what others claimed to be Frank’s weaknesses were in fact his strengths.It was late in Frank’s life when he sang that song to me.I think he was still feeling lost in those roads to manhood.I certainly was.As a child, I wanted to be a good boy. I put in much effort. I earnestly prayed for God to… Read full this story
- Corvette Racing at Le Mans: 20th Start in Hopes of Ninth Victory
- Corvette Racing at Le Mans: On to the Race!
- Corvette Racing at Le Mans: From Hopes to Heartbreak
- No Le Mans Invite Yet for Corvette Racing and IMSA’s GTLM Competitors
- Weirdly Ford V Ferrari Is Called Le Mans '66 In The UK
- FIA Confirm Le Mans Result after 4 Months
- Signatech 24 Hours Le Mans LMP2 victory confirmed by FIA
- Kansas Man Reportedly Spits on Preschooler and Calls Him N-Word, but Relax, He’s a Firefighter
- Recently Published Book Spotlight: The Man-Not
- Can an All-Boys, Afrocentric Education Close the Achievement Gap?
Being A Man - How To Be A Man Instead Of Being A Boy Or A Wimp have 311 words, post on ezinearticles.com at July 10, 2007. This is cached page on The World Articles. If you want remove this page, please contact us.